MOL Chile Ltda, is the representative office for Japanese ship owner Mitsui OSK Lines Ltd. The dry bulk division is responsible for commercial, chartering, operations, and marketing in South America.
Dry Bulk Vessel Operator
Reporting to the General Manager MOL Chile, Dry Bulk Division. This division is responsible for the chartering and commercial marketing and operations for Handysize, Handymax, Panamax bulk carriers for various trades relevant to South America.
Purpose of the Position
To assist in the development of MOL Chile, Dry Bulk Division vessel operations team.
Core Tasks and Activities
- Instructing vessels through clear sailing instructions
- Arranging vessel’s fuel in advance for specific trades
- Identifying cost saving opportunities for each voyage and for the company as a whole
- Arranging payment of proforma disbursement accounts
- Responsibility for checking of shipping documentation such as Bills of Lading, manifests, cargo documents, etc.
- Issuing freight and laytime invoices
- Laytime calculations
- Verifying and updating vessel’s inbound and outbound schedules
- Regular update of internal software system
- Monitor ingoing/outgoing payments
- Voyage Analysis:
- Analysing the results of each voyage fixed from Santiago office
- Inputting data into specialised shipping software
- Developing knowledge and key operational insight into the regular trades that are performed
- Studying in detail port information such as costs, restrictions, port performance, agency performance
- Investigating ways to reduce costs on per vessel calls in order to improve overall profit of the company
- Studying various cargo trades
- Managerial responsibilities:
- Developing key operational processes
- Supporting the development of a full operational team, with responsibility for all of South America
- Continuously striving to improve vessel operations
Level of Responsibility
- Number of vessels: MOL operates 120-130 Handy size, Handy max and Panamax and spot charter vessels at any one time, worldwide. In the WCSA, 4-6 Handysize/Handymax type vessels opens every month. Operator is expected to handle such volume of vessels
- Area of Concentration: All South America.
- Reporting to: General Manager of MOL Chile, Bulk Division
- Contact with clients, ship brokers, port agents, vessel owners
- Coordinating with colleagues from MOL London, Manila and Tokyo as required.
Based in Santiago, Chile
Mainly desk-based. Travel will be required to visit ports and vessels.
Competencies & Qualities
- Good organisational skills, accuracy & accountability
- Communication skills
- Team worker
- Willingness to learn and to improve
- Ability to make quick, logical decisions under some pressure
- Ability to analyze data and draw conclusions/make decisions
Qualifications and Experience
- Tertiary education degree from reputable university or similar
- Computer literate (especially sound excel and word skills)
- Must be comfortable working in an all English speaking, multicultural environment
- Fluent written and spoken Spanish is preferred
- Additional language would be preferred, but not required
- Experience in Bulk Carrier business is preferred, but not required
One the job training will be provided to a pro-active and qualified candidate. Operators are expected to function independently in the position within 6-8 months.
Date Required : As soon as possible
Remuneration: Competitive salary and benefits package available to the right candidate.