DIRECTOR, MARINE FLEET OPERATIONS
We are currently seeking an experienced DIRECTOR, MARINE FLEET OPERATIONS with strong strategic, technical, communication, leadership and management skills to aggressively manage our fleet of container and Ro-Ro vessels from St. John’s, Newfoundland. Our fleet is Canadian flagged and crewed and operates under a Safety Management System (SMS) that is certified under the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
Reporting to the V.P. Operations, the DIRECTOR, MARINE FLEET OPERATIONS is responsible for the strategic and day to day operational performance of the company’s ship management department, leading a team including senior shipboard managers, safety and quality management, superintendents, purchasers, Human Resources support and third-party contractors.
- Ensure that the ships are operated in compliance with the policies of the corporation and within the rules and regulations of the appropriate government authorities and agencies;
- Manage all matters related to the fleet to ensure and reinforce that a safe, environmentally sensitive and cost-effective operation is achieved and maintained;
- Oversee technical operations management including but not limited to: fleet performance, incident review, repairs & maintenance, dry dockings & in-water refits, computer-based maintenance programs (AMOS), capital expenditures & our fleet renewal program including new build projects, all in compliance with relevant legislation and the ISM code;
- Oversee crew management, training programs and marine related labour relations;
- Oversee the implementation, maintenance and continuous improvement of the Company’s Safety Management System (SMS) to meet the requirements of the ISM code;
- Oversee the Company’s marine environmental initiatives and policies;
- Oversee the preparation and management of budgets, ship management and fleet operating plans, maintenance of schedules and project management;
- Communicate and report regularly to senior management to demonstrate that the ship management department is providing the best valued solutions to support the company’s scheduled liner service;
- Assist inter departmental initiatives to support the business development of the company.
- Certified as Chief Engineer or Master Mariner;
- Minimum of 5 years of senior shore-side vessel management experience;
- Strong understanding of ISM and understanding of Canadian Flag requirements and regulations;
- Relevant experience in the Ro-Ro, container and offshore industry;
- Proven decision maker and team leader with the ability to support the fundamental principles of delegation and accountability throughout the team, managing challenges and successes in a proactive and supportive manner;
- Strong verbal communication skills to all levels within the fleet;
- Strong English written communication skills and ability to establish clear and concise reporting;
- Knowledge of French is an asset.
If you believe you have the skills we are looking for, please forward your resume as soon as possible.
Oceanex Inc. is committed to equity in employment and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. See Oceanex at www.oceanex.com