Tanker Market / Investment Analyst
This London-based position will be a key contributor to a dedicated and expanding organisation and will form an integral part in defining the company’s market view and investment strategy.
The Tanker Market/ Investment Analyst will be a key role within the Organisation’s commercial team responsible for developing and maintaining market intelligence. In this role, she/he will be partnering closely with the physical tanker chartering team, FFA traders and investment analysts. The key focus will be providing insights, analysis, analytical commentary, and interpretation of current and future trends in crude oil/ products flows as well as freight markets based on data-driven analytics and models.
- Working in close proximity with other team members to make investment recommendations
- Analysing and describing trends and supertrends influencing the energy markets
- Analysing main commodity markets and their effect on the freight and asset market
- Asset and Freight pricing analysis
- Developing, analysing and presenting market forecasts
- Facilitating strategy processes and forming market views of the shipping segments
- Perform tasks and responsibilities as assigned based on priorities for the team to meet/exceed requirements.
- Support new business development by performing ad hoc analysis tasks.
- Conduct original research and data mining to identify interesting, potentially marketable insights.
- Preparing documentation for the investment committee, investors or the board
- A master’s degree in Business, Economics or Shipping with excellent academic results or an equivalent combination of education and experience within energy, shipping, utilities, banking/finance or commodities markets.
- 5 years of relevant experience in the freight and commodity markets, with an emphasis on the tanker market. The role will require expert level understanding of market structure and trade flow of liquid bulk cargoes.
- Experience in physical and paper (FFA) trading would be beneficial.
- Technical/academic background in data analytics, machine learning and economic forecasting models would be beneficial.
- Able to construct business case opportunities and present to internal and external stakeholders (e.g. Investors, Banks etc.) to take advantage of market opportunities as they arise.
- Advanced Excel/PowerPoint skills. Knowledge of coding (eg ‘R’ or ‘Python’) will be beneficial.
- Excellent numeracy/written skills and comfortable working with large data sets from unstructured sources.
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills with an ability to establish and maintain strong professional relationships.
- A natural curiosity that leads to a wide range of interests and broad reading interests.
- A challenging role, with a direct impact on investment decisions and strategic direction
- An opportunity to develop within both the maritime and financial industries
- Attractive remuneration and employee benefits